The Playground is the home of ideas, with forums, play readings and other events built around performance programs. Creating an artistic community, identifying the key social narratives, reflecting the broader community through its storytelling and providing the best work which includes cultural and linguistically diverse stories, audiences and artists. . In addition GAK wants to provide a stepping stone for artists to build a sustainable career in the theatre.
The Playground is a unique, intimate and visceral production. It aims to be the most a respected theatre company in the region, a cultural flagship for the local community, an innovative social and cultural hub and an inspirational model of urban renewal.
The Playground CORE BELIEFS
1. We started as an experiment and we encourage experimentation.
2. We are ambitious and we encourage cultural ambition: we tell epic stories in a small space.
3. We seek as wide an audience for our work as possible.
4. Our diverse programme is our cornerstone but we are a place of creation, development and learning, as well as performance.
5. We never forget that our audience is our reason for existence.